Monday, January 28, 2013

Ekphrastic Poem #4: COME AWAY WITH ME, IF ONLY IN OUR DREAMS

This next installment in the Van Gogh-inspired poems is, I must admit, not entirely of the ekphrastic genre.  That is, the general idea for the poem and a few of the lines (including the one that forms the title) came to me prior to jumping into in my ekphrastic project.  On the other hand, the poem came to fruition based on Van Gogh's "Garden with courting couples:  Square Saint Pierre." So, I'm calling it ekphrastic.

(If you happen to be a syllable counter like me, especially with poems of this sort, you'll note that I am not consistent. Most of the lines have nine syllables, but the first has eleven, others eight, and one line has nine or ten, depending on how you pronounce "hours." Love is not bound by form and structure, why should the poem? I think there is a certain rhythm, though.)


COME AWAY WITH ME, IF ONLY IN OUR DREAMS


Come away with me, if only in our dreams,
to a place where reason has no sway,
where love and passion reign supreme,
and pleasure rules throughout the day.

Come walk with me in the summer sun,
through verdant meadows bright with flowers
to a place where we can be as one,
and lose ourselves in rapturous hours,
our bodies wrapped in love’s embrace,
and in each other find sweet grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment