Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 11: Ann Griffiths

Today's features Welsh  poet continues us in the vein of Williams Pantycelyn.  Ann Griffiths (1776-1805) was one of Wales' leading female poets and hymn writer. 

Today's poem is Lo, between the myrtles standing, from the Oxford Book of Welsh Verse in English.  You can read more about Ann Griffiths' life, as well as her poetry, at http://www.anngriffiths.cf.ac.uk/index.html


LO, BETWEEN THE MYRTLES STANDING

Lo, between the myrtles standing,
     One who merits well my love,
Though His worth I guess but dimly,
     High all earthly things above;
        Happy morning
When at last I see him clear!

Rose of Sharon, so men name Him;
     White and red His cheeks adorn;
Store untold of earthly treasure
     Will His merit put to scorn;
        Friend of sinners,
He their pilot o'er the deep.

What can weigh with me henceforward
     All the idols of the earth?
One and all I here proclaim them,
     Matched with Jesus, nothing worth;
        O to rest me
All my lifetime in His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment